Eventually on the 18th of November 1952, the decision was made to form a Baptist Church with 19 members who signed the following declaration recorded in the minute book – “We, the believers whose names are noted below, baptised by immersion and having accepted the basis of Doctrine of the Baptist Union of Ireland, and desiring to live for the glory of God, do afresh dedicate ourselves to the Lord Jesus Christ. We declare ourselves to be a Church after the New Testament order, for the observance of His ordinances, the proclamation of His Word, and for such other labours for the salvation of the lost and the edifying of believers, as God by His grace may enable us to do”.
And so this marked the beginning of Cookstown Baptist Church.
To date, Cookstown Baptist Church has had 6 full time pastors:
- Pastor W.H. Rea (1952-1967)
- Pastor J.R. Grant (1967-1976)
- Pastor J.H. Chambers (1978-1985)
- Pastor B. Causby (1986-1993)
- Pastor K. Humphries (1996-2003)
- Pastor J.H. Chambers (Interim pastor until 2011)
- Pastor G.W. Bell (2012 – present).